Monday, December 8, 2014

Fieldwork Experience Reflection

Fieldwork: "When Your Life Enters the Classroom Arena"


          My fieldwork experience this semester has certainly opened my eyes and mind to new knowledge. Personal lesson planning is such a vital aspect of fieldwork. I was paired with two of my college peers to work collaboratively on 3 main types of lesson plans (i.e., direct instruction, inquiry, and cooperative learning). As a result of my teaching collaboration, I have learned to always have a backup plan. I understand that each person has a different learning style. However, a good group communicates well and always includes equal contribution towards the workload. I often felt that my group did not appreciate my efforts and there was lack of cooperation. As a hardworking student and teacher candidate, I was disappointed. My greatest contributions were included in my group's first lesson, which was direct instruction. I learned a great deal from my first day of teaching. For starters, I learned that it is okay to be nervous! When you are nervous, you are kept on your toes! I had a wonderful time teaching my students. Their lively inquisitive nature was very encouraging and made me feel right at home. I love to mold the minds of children and introduce them to new ideas and topics.




          My insights on my peers' teaching can be summed up as ineffective and uncooperative. Although one of my group members did a good job teaching in the classroom, he would often wait until the last minute to make his contributions to the written lesson plan. My other group member did little to no work and would not cooperate with the rest of the group. As a result of my peers' lack of cooperative effort, I learned to become more independent. I did the majority of the research and assignments all on my own throughout the course of the semester. I have no regrets and can proudly say that I did my personal best! Next time, I hope I am paired with other students who understand the importance of teamwork.  


          After teaching in 3 different styles, or lesson plan formats, I have come up with my own personal definitions of direct, inquiry, and cooperative learning. 





          Direct instruction is mainly teacher-centered. The teacher introduces the new topic and assesses student understanding through diagnostic, formative, and summative assessments. In my opinion, the development and guided practice are the 2 most important elements of any direct instruction lesson plan. The development introduces the new topic with specific details and the guided practice allows the student to apply their newfound knowledge (with teacher support). 


The video above teaches one about the correct way "to do" direct instruction.


          Inquiry-based learning is all about posing a question, or problem, to the students and having them try to solve it. Inquiry learning activates prior knowledge of previously learned material. The students work collaboratively to think critically and come up with a solution to the problem, or task, at hand. In my opinion, inquiry-based learning is the most complex out of the 3 main types of lesson plans.




          Finally, cooperative learning is all about teamwork. Group-based learning supports the cooperative learning elements known as PIGS (i.e., Positive Interdependence, Individual Accountability, Group Processing, and Social Skills). Students are faced with a main task and are then assigned specific roles. The students become responsible for their both their individual and group efforts. In my opinion, cooperative learning is wonderful because it teaches students how to get along with and work with one another in a neutral setting (i.e., the classroom). 











No comments:

Post a Comment