Friday, December 5, 2014

Mock Trial Job Interviews


Entering the Job Universe

Reflection By: Meaghan Brenna Foley

December 5, 2014



The mock job interview broadened my knowledge of how to land the right job. I gained new insight into what administrators consider to be appropriate posed questions and responses. I think each administrator provided us interviewees with an overall good first impression. I was reassured that good administrators and job applicants must always maintain a certain degree of professionalism. This includes dressing well, being polite, and being prepared. Having knowledge about the company your interested in working for and the expected job requirements is also very important. I am proud to say that I have been hired by Dr. Nikci, from Columbia University. I am thankful for all of Dr. Nikci's kind words about my thoughts, ideas, and comments. Dr. Nikci acknowledged my passion for learning and academic knowledge of current events. She also expressed her approval for my application of the five elements of powerful social studies (i.e., meaningful, integrative, value-based, challenging, and active). I was comfortable speaking to Dr. Nikci and expressed confidence in answering each of the administrators' questions. I believe that the two most important elements of powerful social studies are meaningful and challenging. Everything in the learning process must contain meaning. The job applicant must also always be challenged to reach their best potential! :)


Pictured above are the four administrators from today's mock job interview. 
(From the left to right: Dr. Joanne Nikci, Mrs. Owen, Dr. Kennedy, Mr. Charles Bass)



Pictured above is my job interview with Mrs. Owen.
(From the left to right: Meaghan Brenna Foley (Me), Gina Debenedetto, Mrs. Owen)



The question that I found to be somewhat easy was made by Dr. Kennedy. The question reads:

"What color comes to mind when you think of Inquiry based instruction? Why?"



  • This question was certainly unique; however, I don't think it actually applies to the workplace. It is too vague. Perhaps, ask about the interviewee's opinion of inquiry-based instruction and the reasoning behind his or her opinion.

The questions that I found to be most challenging were made by Dr. Joanne Nikci. Her questions were:

"What do you think are the qualities of an intelligent person? global citizen? What global project can you integrate in your SS classroom?"

  • These questions were posed by the insightful, Dr. Joanne Nikci. I found these questions to be quite challenging because they made me think. I carefully pondered and briefly organized my thoughts. My personal reflection displayed appropriate academic language and related to the subject of current events. In my opinion, an intelligent and global citizen possesses knowledge about the day's current events. For example, poverty and hunger is a terrible issue that needs to be continuously addressed.  It is my hope that the war on hunger will come to an end someday soon. As an educator, a global project that I would like to integrate into my classroom with my students would be to research developing countries. My students and I, along with their parents, would host a charity drive to stomp out hunger. Each student would be asked to bring in one to two non-perishable food items. Then, as a class, we would collectively send these resources to a developing country in dire need. (i.e., Africa). This project would help bring about global awareness to both the students, teachers, parents, friends, and neighbors. I believe it is important to help support local and global humanitarian aide, especially to those who who lack the necessary resources that are essential to living a healthy life. As a humanitarian, helping others in need is rewarding. If we would all participate, we could stomp out world hunger. Therefore, teachers, parents, and guardians should set good examples for their children, supporting sharing with others for a better tomorrow.  



This video expresses a teenager's understanding of the global crisis known as world hunger. This young boy seeks to end world hunger and bring awareness to others about this very important issue. With multiple young students like this boy, the fight to end world hunger will be well on its way to success! :)




The question that I found to be most creative also came from Dr. Joanne Nikci. I liked how Dr. Nikci asked:

"What is your personal educational philosophy?"


  • I believe this question should be classified as the day's most creative question for a number of different reasons. For starters, we are all unique; therefore, our teaching/learning philosophies should differ. We all maintain a different perspective on education and must always stand by our beliefs. Creativity is key! :) Creative educators make for students who become eager to learn!  In addition, creativity "builds on and extends awareness, interest, and willingness to explore, create change, and generate novel thoughts, products, and solutions" (Sunal & Haas, 2011, p. 75). Those qualities are what teachers should always work so very hard to instill in their students. Creativity breeds eagerness to learn, which then leads to ultimate success and overall happiness in life. :)



  • My personal educational philosophy is all about change and influence. The following is a quote by Malala Yousafzai, which encompasses my beliefs about teaching and learning. 


  • Malala is absolutely right! Education is not only about numbers and statistics. It can simply be one child or teacher who alters the primary educational path. Like Malala, I honestly believe that an education builds a person's overall character and mindset. A popular educational movement that has developed recently is known as character education. According to Sunal and Haas (2011), the character education movement is an approach "focused on teaching and modeling specific character traits, for example, honesty, courage, perseverance, loyalty, caring, civic virtue, justice, respect and responsibility, and trustworthiness" (p. 294). In my opinion, Malala is just one of those brave enough to make her voice heard amidst such adversity. 







  • The school system that I would like to work for would have to be a school system that supports the five elements of powerful social studies. Administrators should support meaningful teaching and learning, because it aids in the development of good decision-making skills. Educators should also incorporate integrative social studies to help target their students' civil duties and beliefs. When students become aware of their civic duties they begin to develop a key "awareness, appreciation, and understanding of the social world" (Sunal & Haas, 2011, p. 13). This encourages students to develop their sense of dignity and respect for the common good of humanity. Students with a moral background often seek to be challenged learners throughout their lives. Therefore, my belief is that education does not end when college ends. The endless cycle of learning motivates hardworking individuals to remain active learners. Active educators and students display their knowledge, skills, and strengths when faced with new experiences. As a future educator, I will make it my mission to incorporate each of the five elements of powerful social studies into my school's yearly curriculum. 


References

Sunal, C., & Haas, M. (2011). Social studies for the elementary and middle grades:
A constructivist approach (4th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.











3 comments:

  1. I was also reassured that good administrators and job applicants must always maintain a certain degree of professionalism! Dressing well, being polite, and being prepared are all extremely important to consider when you are preparing for an interview. Having knowledge about the school you are interested in working for and the expected job requirements is also very important. Doing research on the school's mission statement and philosophies will surely prepare you for some of the questions you will be asked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meaghan, this blog post is phenomenal! You touched on so many aspects of the assignment and included wonderful visual content. You are quite the entertaining writer! Also, I love the quote from Ms. Malala - she is an extraordinary role model for young girls today.
    Keep up the good work and please continue expressing your passion for life and learning!

    ReplyDelete