Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Newsela


Newsela: Opening the World to Current Events


This is a brief video on how to create a Newsela account and its relation to the subject of current events.

Teaching Students About Contemporary History


Over the course of this semester, I have utilized the Newsela resource in my Social Studies Methods class. I think that Newsela is such a great tool to incorporate into any current events lesson. In my opinion, current events are instances of occasions that happen in the modern day (i.e. today). 


I believe that well-rounded students should maintain an awareness of the day's local, national, and global news. All teachers should introduce some type of news resource, like Newsela, to their students in the classroom. Becoming an intelligent citizen requires one to understand the basics of geography and history. There are many different kinds of people in the world. In my opinion, Newsela is the prime resource for learning about diversity (i.e., culture). 



My peers and I have taken part in various types of current events projects. Each of our current events presentations have incorporated Newsela articles in some way. My partner Joanne and I taught our class about the 5 W's of current events (i.e., Who?, What?, Where?, When?, and Why?). The "students" were told to read the two Newsela articles that we selected. Once they finished reading, guided practice began (i.e., filling in the 5 W's table).

  
In my opinion, the 5 W's is a beneficial strategy that helps one organize their thoughts and ideas. The 5 W's is definitely helpful in relation to the subject of history and current events. Newsela has a unique highlighter tool, with various colors, which allows for people to digitally categorize their thinking. I believe that color and graphics are key to grabbing the students' attention. For many students, history tends to be somewhat of a dull subject. However, vibrant colors add a certain level of sophistication to current events. I think that is the reason why so many news articles and resources incorporate colorful, detailed images along with the content (i.e., text). Another Newsela element that I found to be very educational were the quizzes that corresponded with their respective articles. These quizzes would be both useful and effective in my social studies classroom because it would me help assess my students' reading comprehension skills. 













   

No comments:

Post a Comment